One of the most iconic brands in the South West is looking to strengthen its team with the addition of a Senior Buyer for raw materials.
This commodity area comes with a spend of approximately £30-50m across 30-40 suppliers currently. A new Procurement Director joined 18 months ago and has a roadmap to transform the procurement function over the next two years which includes people and process. We have supported them in placing their new Head of Directs and this Senior Buyer role will sit under their leadership.
You will need to have experience of strategic sourcing across a broad range of raw materials that go into the manufacturing of their products (metals, plastic, aluminium and electronic components to name a few)
Your role will be to conduct routine strategic sourcing activities and lead on-going Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) initiatives with all suppliers in the nominated category group in order to manage the total cost of acquisition
As Senior Buyer – Raw Materials, your key responsibilities will be:
- Review & understand commodity and market pricing via analysis of raw material fluctuations, currency movement and market trends/demands to support cost reduction via negotiation, internal waste reduction projects & design/development improvements.
- Conduct strategic sourcing activities using category management, to derive term contracts, manage supply base and instigate supplier continuous improvement programmes.
- Liaise with other members of the Supply Chain team (e.g. Planning and Logistics) to ensure production supply is optimised for inventory and efficient/timely production schedule adherence – including e.g. development of vendor managed inventory, quality audits, and supplier performance reviews.
- As required, conduct sourcing for non-production (and capex) spend activities.
- Work closely with development & engineering teams in evaluating new products & technology to obtain best market pricing.
- Undertake make vs buy analysis and implement appropriate solutions as appropriate.
- Undertake assessment of multiple market solution where available including (but not limited to) low-cost country sourcing opportunities.
- Track and report supplier performance, purchase price variance and other relevant KPIs including project updates and benefits delivered.
- Support the wider Procurement team through training and development initiatives.
Skills and experience:
- Experience in the complete ‘Purchase Cycle’ and MRP systems
- CIPS or equivalent qualifications preferred
- Computer literate in prime Microsoft applications
- The ability to communicate well at all levels by showing good presentation skills with a willingness to embrace change
- Data-driven with good negotiation skills supported by a desire to achieve best market pricing
- An understanding of budgets and manufacturing, ideally with a background in engineering, aerospace, defence or automotive.
You will be measured on specific outputs and will have regularly scheduled catch-ups to track your progress. This role interfaces will all areas of the business and will provide the right individual with a great amount of exposure and autonomy to support the ongoing growth of the organisation.
How to apply for the Senior Buyer role:
To discuss the Senior Buyer – Raw Materials in more depth please contact Hayley Packham at Procurement Heads by emailing your CV to email@example.com or call +44 7780 043157. Enquiries are all handled confidentially.