Procurement Heads has been retained by a privately owned real estate and infrastructure organisation that provides on-campus residential and academic accommodation to universities across England and Wales to recruit a Senior Buyer based in their head office in London.
Forming part of their procurement function, the Senior Buyer will take ownership of high value sourcing activities across a multitude of category spend areas as well as support various functional budget holders in making use of the procurement tools, templates and tender activity for more lower-level transactions.
This organisation is at a pivotal moment in its growth trajectory and as such, has employed a procurement consultancy to perform a complete opportunity assessment that aims to transform the procurement function, and provide the very best procurement support to senior leaders and stakeholders.
Reporting to the newly appointed Head of Procurement and with support of an existing Senior Procurement Manager, you will be responsible for c£100m worth of spend across 70 categories and 16 business units.
It is crucial that you are able to evidence end to end category management which includes analysing areas of spend, looking at market trends, forming a strategy and seeking agreement. This is a collaborative organisation and procurement needs to be able to partner effectively with individual budget holders to help meet their requirements.
As Senior Buyer, your key responsibilities will be:
- Execute and maintain a category approach to spend management and cross-functional working to ensure the buy-in of all internal stakeholders to gain commercial advantage
- End-to-end management and leadership of the procurement process including (but not limited to) market research, sourcing and tendering, financial validation and benefits tracking, commercial negotiation and contract drafting
- Drive the implementation of procurement and category strategies to deliver cost reduction targets, appropriately challenging business targets and savings
- Provide supplier and supply market intelligence to internal customers to maximise commercial opportunities
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders and senior management on all matters relating to Procurement activity and strategy
- Support the functional budget holders with regular review meetings/supplier development plans to address supplier under-performance, for high value/high-risk suppliers
- Provide relevant, quality management information/advice to relevant stakeholders on the performance of Procurement reviews/projects
- Own spend categories and develop a set of prioritised review strategies to support the overall business initiatives that provide a platform for continuous cost reduction and improved supplier performance
Skills and experience:
The ideal candidate should be CIPS qualified (or working towards) which reflects the following elements:
- Extensive and proven category management experience in sourcing and managing a broad range of direct, indirect/head office support categories gained within construction, FM or real estate environment
- Good demonstrable level of technical and commercial understanding of the categories
- Demonstrable track record of delivering against savings targets within complex multi-stakeholder or matrix-style environments.
- Ability to effectively manage project teams and can lead a range of stakeholders through a procurement exercise with effective communication. This will include managing workshops, agendas and project team meetings, acting as the point of contact for each project
- In-depth knowledge of appropriate procurement techniques and tender drafting practises
- Good knowledge of category management principles or similar systematic approached to procurement
- Strong communication, influencing and stakeholder management skills
- Ability to formulate and draft supply contracts
- Strength in project management, using a structured, data-driven approach
- Ability to consider the bigger picture
Experience of OJEU/knowledge of public procurement regulations would be useful but certainly not essential if you are coming from the private sector.
Benefits of the Senior Buyer role include:
- 29 days holiday plus 8 days bank holiday (277.5 hours)
- Holiday purchase options
- Pension (match up to 5% – also salary exchange scheme)
- Life Assurance (x4 if in pension, x2 if opt out of pension)
- Private Health Insurance
- Private Medical Insurance (single cover with option to pay for additional cover e.g. spouse/family)
- Employee Assistance Programme
How to apply:
To discuss the Senior Buyer role in more depth please contact James Dobbin at Procurement Heads by emailing your CV to email@example.com or call +44 (0) 7785 622635. Enquiries are all handled confidentially.