This Group operate in the logistics arena providing bespoke delivery management, proactive tracking support and tailored fulfilment services to small and medium-sized retailers, brands and wholesalers. Headquartered in Marlow, the Group operates 6 depots, 2 fulfilment centres and 4 hub sites across the UK. Their customers are at the heart of everything they do and they pride themselves on delivering innovative solutions and outstanding customer service in a fast-paced industry. The business is all about our people; listening to customers’ needs and exceeding their expectations.
Reporting to the Head of Procurement, you will form part of a team of 10 who procure and manage a spend of circa £600m across IT, Fleet, Operations, Distribution and Corporate. This team has a mission to deliver best in class Procurement services to the business and require an ambitious Procurement Manager to help achieve those objectives. The department has shifted its focus from a Category led structure to more of a benefits programme which focus on value above cost.
Key responsibilities include:
- Create comprehensive sourcing strategies for in scope spend categories that take full account of all internal and market risks and opportunities, operating with a truly strategic mindset and in close collaboration with stakeholder community to ensure full alignment to relevant business objectives.
- Identify sustainable, long term savings opportunities through the strategy creation process, identifying and exploring all potential value levers.
- Create compelling business cases for change aligned and in collaboration with the stakeholder team and obtain approval to execute from senior management.
- Contribute to and proactively participate in the development of an education, communication and engagement plan for end users, business units and functional teams.
- Be the commercial expert in the spend categories within scope of responsibility.
- Deliver benefits identified in strategies through effective strategy execution and category stakeholder engagement, aligned to assurance of supply (risk management), quality, service, cost and innovation.
- Ensure financial benefits are managed in accordance with the appropriate procurement and finance processes, ensuring business unit and Finance agreement to the financial value delivered.
- Contribute to overall Procurement benefit targets to ensure the success of the team.
External Supplier Relationships:
- Build strategic relationships with key suppliers at a senior level and lead processes to ensure value is driven from these relationships. Leverage the Business Review Meeting process to drive the relationships.
- Ensure supplier relationships which present potential risks (for example where supplier has balance of power, monopolies, sole sources etc.) are managed to minimise risk.
- Negotiate, create, execute and manage effective contracts with suppliers (where required) that will develop relationships that maximize opportunity, innovation and minimise risks
- Manage the supply base for the category spend / suppliers in scope through a robust performance management process. Ensure supplier performance is understood and measured.
- Develop Operational Excellence strategies and plans for key suppliers to drive improvement against KPIs.
- Build collaborative and positive relationships that put the organisation at the front of the queue for innovation and benefit and the back of the queue for disruption; i.e. ensure the organisation is a customer of choice.
- Contribute to the transformation of the supply chain to release value and contribute to the organisation being a market leader in every space and market in which they operate – for example in cost control, complexity reduction, simplification, best practice procurement and use of KPIs.
- Identify and manage significant risks in the supply chain. Ensure appropriate mitigation plans are in place and in use and that the risks are communicated appropriately within business units impacted, Procurement and the supply base.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written in order to influence internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to negotiate with suppliers with an analytical and commercial approach.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload and work to conflicting, frequently demanding, deadlines for self and others. Able to manage effectively in order to achieve daily and weekly tasks through organisation, delegation and prioritisation.
- Able to produce consistently accurate work with a high level of attention to detail even when working under pressure. A “right first time” mentality.
- Able to interpret financial and performance data in order to draw conclusions, identify opportunities for improvement and recommend solutions.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to appropriately question and challenge the accepted norm in order to drive continuous process improvement.
- Able to work effectively as a part of a team demonstrating a hands on, energetic style with a ‘can do, will do’ attitude.
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information in a professional manner.
- Up-to-date and detailed understanding of areas of responsibility, professional and technical best practice in order to be a credible representative of the business internally and externally.
- IT Literate – proficient in the use of MS Office including intermediate MS PowerPoint, and Excel skills for data analysis and presentation in order to influence business cases e.g. pivot tables, graphs etc. Sound commercial judgement.
- A good technical appreciation of the range of procurement categories and familiarity with procurement tools including eRFx, eAuctions & Spend Analytics.
- An understanding of project governance and management tools and techniques.
- Sound commercial judgement with an understanding of budgeting, financial planning and business case production.
- Approximately 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role to acquire these skills.
- Demonstrable experience of best practice sourcing.
- Negotiation of high value contracts.
- Educated to Degree Level or equivalent.
- CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) qualification or equivalent preferred but not essential
To find out more, please apply with a CV to email@example.com or call me on 01962 869838 | All enquiries will be handled confidentially