We are supporting a series of Trusts along the South Coast as they embark on a procurement transformation that would see them come together.
Structurally, there will be procurement professionals embedded in each of the trusts with the Procurement Director taking responsibility for the overall service.
Each Trust has its own Finance Director and respective teams and therefore, the ability to manage a multitude of stakeholders such as Execs to Estates Directors & Project Managers with differing requirements is critical to the success of this appointment.
The Head of Purchasing (Capital Projects and Equipment) is a new role reporting to the Director that oversees roughly £900m of infrastructure.
Examples of some of the strategic projects you will be responsible for include:
- Campus development: re-develop key services and building a healthcare campus for the region.
- £450m project to complete re-develop a whole site.
- New Cancer Centre.
- Way forward programme – developing a better flow through hospitals to improve performance.
There are four key deliverables to ensuring the success of this role:
- Excellence in capital procurement performance avoiding significant deviations from established budgets and schedules as well as from benchmark cost levels.
- Mitigation of increased capital expenditures and operational costs relative to initial plans. Frequent extensions of lead times for critical equipment will be identified and managed.
- Achieve a cross-project perspective to ensure the sharing of best practice designs, leveraging aggregate demand and establish partnerships with key suppliers at all levels.
- Ensure the tools required are available to make decisions effectively and be able to track the impact of decisions across the project lifecycle and monitor the performance of procurement activities or suppliers in individual projects.
You will be a high energy individual with the drive and a strong personality to be able to influence stakeholders. You must be able to articulate yourself well both in written and verbal form and are comfortable with writing documentation for business cases. Good Category knowledge of infrastructure and the tendering process supported by solid market understanding is a must-have.
Skills and experience needed for this role:
You will be CIPS and/or degree qualified and can evidence the following:
- Proven experience in tendering, evaluation and contract implementation of complex and significant infrastructure and works projects.
- Produce a dedicated capital-procurement strategy that considers the specifics of the supply market, the capabilities of the organisation(s), and the requirements of each Trust for the successful delivery of capital projects.
- Proven experience in managing a forward-thinking, proactive, procurement process.
- Demonstrate highly developed theoretical and practical knowledge at an advanced level with experience and expertise in procurement management, procedures, relevant legislation and policies.
- Commercially astute both in terms of leading on the negotiation of procurement projects but also developing business models.
- Proven experience of negotiating contracts in a large organisation and a track record of achieving significant cost reductions.
- Proven track record in managing complex projects and processes.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of procure to pay and catalogue management systems.
- Demonstrate excellent written & oral communication skills at the senior manager level.
- Experience in operating a category management approach to sourcing.
- Politically astute and able to build robust networks.
The role does not require you to have PCR experience. The Director is very flexible on this and would welcome applicants from both the private and public sectors to apply to ensure diversity of thought and experience. What matters is the complex, large scale infrastructure projects experience and the soft skills to build strong rapport and relationships both internally and externally.
Where you perform your role is up to you but given the nature of the role, you will want to be on-site as required to see the builds/projects develop and broker those key relationships.
*All applications will be handled by Procurement Heads and speculative CVs will be forwarded on.*