We have been asked to support a FTSE 250 multinational defence organisation in Hampshire which is looking to appoint a Head of Procurement – Major Equipment.
Reporting to the CPO, this is a newly created role to support the current growth trajectory the organisation is on. Leading a team of five, you will be responsible for sourcing large industrial machinery across air, land or sea. The team is experienced in buying this equipment and therefore you must be able to hold your own in this environment.
This role is accountable for providing a best in class procurement service across Major Equipment and Investments. As head of the function, the Head of Procurement – Major Equipment and Investments has both internal and external recognition as an expert and is responsible for driving the sourcing process, supplier risk management, and collaboration with business leadership to develop procurement strategies across all levels of the business. Along with designing and implementing the ME&I procurement strategy, in collaboration with key stakeholders
The Head of Procurement – Major Equipment and Investments is responsible for leading and developing a group of best in class Supply Chain and Procurement professionals, providing subject matter expertise to Business Groups. Sourcing exercises will be initiated both by requests from end-users and through proactive identification of opportunities and/or reduce levels of expenditure and optimise value for money. There will be a relentless focus on driving out unnecessary expenditure leveraging scale in both the domestic and global marketplaces, identification of the customer/stakeholders principal objectives challenging appropriate application of Make v Buy methodology with the ability to demonstrate Value-Creation and Value for Money
The role will form part of the Supply Chain & Procurement Leadership Team, contributing to the governance, structure and ethics of the department, correct deployment of resources to meet all customer requirements, and ensuring a consistently high standard of performance is expected and achieved from all Supply Chain & Procurement staff.
As Head of Procurement – Major Equipment & Investments your key responsibilities will be:
- Develop strong relationships with internal and external leaders and key decision-makers in order to influence behaviours and ensure appropriate involvement of Procurement in all sourcing activities
- Maintain awareness of the restrictions, controls and accreditations that are placed upon suppliers working in a Defence environment, ensuring at all times that both sourcing strategies and the incumbent supplier base do not jeopardise or threaten internal compliance
- Collaborate widely across the business and external market to identify opportunities to utilise extant supplier relationships and frameworks that leverage Group scale
- Ensure compliance with process, governance and controls as agreed in the Procurement Code of Practice and Sourcing methodology
- Collaboratively develop plans with key stakeholders to ensure alignment of targets, improve supplier performance, and implement continuous improvement plans across spend
- Collaborate with peers to develop and enhance systems, process, and best practice sharing to achieve best in class performance, and bring consistency to sourcing activities
- Develop robust workload planning tools and trackers that shape the team’s priorities and track actual against planned progress. This should be driven by the business pipeline of projects
- Develop direct reports through the provision of direct and actionable feedback, and the creation of meaningful development plans
Skills and experience:
- Influences adjacent functional team senior management to improve solution design or commercial offering
- A strong contributor to functional strategy design and execution
- Delivery of positive results and outcomes through the utilisation of direct reports and team members
- Guides managers and senior managers to deliver optimum results
- Recognised as an expert within the organisation; within and beyond the primary function
- Ability to foresee and solve challenges that may have a broad impact on the wider business strategy or outcomes
- Leads successful business outcomes through the appropriate allocation of available resources
- Adaptive and change focused; able to adapt the pace of delivery to meet business requirements
- Natural and articulate around senior management. Good listening skills and ability to focus on issues critical to senior leaders. Can deliver communication concisely and steer the conversation towards decisions needed
- Has the technical skill combined with sufficient gravitas to be recognised as a subject matter expert
- Highly customer-focused and concerned with meeting and exceeding customer expectations
- Highly results-oriented. Keeps the organization on track and delivery oriented
- A leader that can comfortably adapt style to teach, coach, or delegate, as appropriate
- Emotionally intelligent and comfortably relates to many different types of people. Is personally self-aware of strengths and weaknesses.
- Degree in a Business or Engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
- CIPS Qualified or equivalent experience
- Significant experience in a Procurement or Supply Chain related role
- Knowledge of Procurement systems and infrastructure
- Proven contract negotiation skills
Benefits of the Head of Procurement – Major Equipment & Investments role include:
- Attractive remuneration package to be discussed upon application
How to apply:
To discuss the Head of Procurement role in more depth please contact Rupert Gaster at Procurement Heads by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 7867 453328 | +44 (0) 1962 869838. Enquiries are all handled confidentially.