This organisation is wholly Government owned and was purely created by the MOD as a 35 year PFI Initiative to provide Facilities Management and maintenance services across several Army Garrisons with the primary objectives being to build, improve and maintain living and working accommodation. The role reports into the Finance Director and forms part of the Senior Leadership Team.
As Head of Procurement, you will have an annual Procurement spend of £50m against a backdrop of £100m turnover. £25m is project work where value for money is evidenced whereas the other £25m has a direct P&L impact. There are two main focuses of this role:
- Leadership: there is an outgoing incumbent that has been in situ for a period of 18 months. There is a team of 10 that is unsettled by the news of his departure and therefore I require someone who is used to managing sizeable teams, can steady the ship and continue developing and upskilling the team. The team is capable and positive, but in need of leadership both to set direction, provide ‘technical’ support and support in developing business relationships
- Procurement Transformation: Historically, Procurement has been unable to secure recognition that it can genuinely add value despite heavy business reliance on sub-contract performance. However, progress has been made in recent months, a momentum that needs to continue. They provide reactive buying and whilst that contribution has been recognised, this expectation of the role is now embedded and now the business needs to be influenced. Significant in-roads have been made however and this person needs to complete the journey.
You will be CIPS qualified with significant experience in leading a sizeable team and managing staff.
Key responsibilities include:
Develop and implement a Supply Chain strategy to ensure that a high quality and responsive support service is supplied to the Business. Primary Areas:
Supplier and Sub-Contractor Management
Supply Chain Process Management & Improvement
Supply Chain Performance Management
- Provide subject matter expertise input through a matrix management structure to those involved in supply chain activity
- Provide leadership, management, training and development to the Procurement department, promoting continuous improvement
- Engage with the JV partner to ensure compliance with Corporate strategy and to share best practice for mutual benefit
- Develop, implement and manage appropriate subcontract, supplier and subcontractor contract strategy in terms of contract type, duration, risk transfer and compliance to ensure Business Requirements are met.
- Ensure that all suppliers and subcontractors have been through the internal approval process before getting on the Approved Supplier / Subcontractor Database; in particular that the required health & safety and insurance standards are satisfied.
- Ensure that the Approved Supplier / Subcontractor Database is implemented successfully and kept up to date.
- Ensure all contracts are managed to legal requirements
- Establish and manage communication plan with suppliers and sub-contractors to ensure all contractual obligations are met.
- Develop the roles and responsibilities of all procurement personnel and where unique requirements are called for (such as supplier Relationship Strategy), ensure roles are defined for all team members.
- Establish effective working relationships across Operational and Functional teams
What you will need to demonstrate:
- Committed to providing a professional service that meets business requirements
- Strong and effective communicator who listens to the business and proposes improvements
- Strong managerial capability, committed to developing and supporting the team
- FM understanding and experience would be advantageous
- Leadership – sees the bigger picture/interpret strategy, leads by example, motivates others, makes decisions, initiates action, takes responsibility
- Communication and influencing –actively listens, clarifies, gives/seeks feedback, clear and concise, persuasive/negotiates with others
- People Management – fosters team/individual performance, achieves results, sets targets and reviews against them
- Organisational skills – plans well in advance, sets clear objectives, manages time/delegates, reviews progress against plan, ensures sufficient resources, encourages improvements,
- Commercial and Financial awareness – effective financial management, maximises use of resources, identifies business opportunities
- Results orientation – satisfies internal/external customers
- Well-developed Interpersonal skills
- Lives and promotes the company values
If you are an existing Head of Procurement looking for a new challenge but wanting to dedicate years to a new position and really ensure the validity of Procurement, this could be the role for you.
To find out more, please apply with a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 01962 869838 ble 3 Acc