A leading manufacturing business with a strong social purpose, based in Sussex, is recruiting a Head of Category. The Head of Category will manage spend across all electrical components and work in a global capacity.
As Head of Category, you will work within the Direct Purchasing part of the Procurement function. Direct Purchasing is structured around a Category management approach; however, staff are required to be flexible with the types of suppliers they work with.
The purpose of the role of Head of Category is to actively participate in the creation and design of an aligned global category strategy, with the goal of achieving significant cost reductions while maintaining/improving product quality and vendor service levels.
As Head of Category your key responsibilities will include:
- Drive annual productivity improvements in each spend category.
- Capture and validate real savings.
- Measure and track performance within the spend category and define budgetary impact.
- Establish key performance measures for each spend category (e.g., cost per unit, total product expense); define the data collection process; forecast budgetary impact and track actual savings; broadly communicate performance against these performance measures and work with stakeholders to ensure savings are incorporated into annual operating plans.
- Be accountable for the vendor selection and negotiation process both individually led and led by the Buying team. Ensuring the best value received from suppliers with demonstrative competency.
- Manage strategic sourcing projects applying relevant methodology. Provide team members with direction and support throughout the steps and activities of the strategic sourcing projects, applying the appropriate and defined methodology and tools.
- Define the optimal supplier selection process, considering supply market specifics. Drive this process through the activities of the direct material Buying team.
- Develop a negotiation strategy. Participate in/lead fact-based negotiations.
- Monitor strategy implementation and contract compliance – Ensure strategies are implemented and TCO reductions secured according to implementation plans.
Skills and experience required:
- BA required with MBA preferred; other graduate degrees potentially acceptable or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) certification desirable
- Previous experience of Category Management at a senior level ideally for direct materials and within a Manufacturing environment.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of developing and deploying sourcing strategies, financial concepts and the ability to create business cases
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills – able to construct/execute multiple complex analyses (e.g. TCO, NPV; cost-price analyses) simultaneously
- Good planning/project management skills – able to develop a comprehensive workable issue
Benefits of the Head of Category role include:
- £8k lifestyle allowance
- 10% bonus
- Flexible benefits
To discuss the Senior Procurement Operations Manager role in more depth please contact Ruper Gaster at Procurement Heads by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1962 869838. Enquiries are all handled confidentially.