As one of the world’s leading Universities based in Hampshire and consistently placed in the top 100 Universities in the world, this organisation is looking for an IT Category Manager to create an improved strategy to utilise a 20m spend and help the University operate successfully.
Due to an influx of investment and a recognised need for a functioning Procurement Team, they have quadrupled in size, hence the occurrence of this role.
Working as a leader for the IT category and team, your role will act as a Business Partner, developing strategic partnerships, establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with relevant “heads of” and of course leading the procurement of IT and Telecoms across the University. Managing a spend of 20m, the challenge is to ensure that this budget is spread across Telecoms, Software and Hardware. IT procurement in the Public Sector comes with different challenges so making innovative, professional judgements and resolving complex procurement issues is a key responsibility. Therefore, experience in IT procurement is desirable because your responsibility will be working out how the department approaches the market, negotiates contracts and manages risk. Though they are willing to train you in certain aspects of IT, day two, a strategy is needed so Category Management experience is pivotal.
Responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking duties as part of an integrated team and adopt priorities and engage in activities which promote the effective working of the whole team.
- Lead high value and complex procurement projects by undertaking sourcing and tendering activity in full compliance with Public Procurement Regulations and ensuring the most relevant route is chosen including utilisation of regional and national arrangements.
- Apply considerable professional judgement and innovative solutions in advising senior managers, colleagues, staff and customers on the resolution of complex and strategic procurement issues, taking into account current and potential future developments, requirements and obligations.
- Lead on managing key contracts within the category to ensure quality, value for money and supply improvements are delivered across the lifecycle of the category for the benefit of the University.
- Lead on ensuing continuous improvement is achieved in key contracts and where necessary act to resolve complex contract management and performance issues, including complex negotiation variations.
- Research assigned category areas, identifying movements in price and new suppliers in the market. Continually improve and track any market changes in strategic sourcing plans. Monitor and identify commercial risks likely to impact on the University.
The purpose of this role is to fully understand the procurement needs of the University and ensure that any priorities are covered so if you have Category Management experience and like to go somewhere and hit the ground running then this is the role for you!