A market leader in their field, this organisation boasts multiple sites in the UK as well as a Headquarters in mainland Europe. The company grow through acquisition creating synergies across their product lines and this in turn signifies them as the largest manufacturer of their kind globally in revenue terms.
Due to some internal changes, an opportunity has arisen for a buyer to join one of their Business Units in Hampshire. Reporting into a relatively new Purchasing Manager, you will assist in setting and driving the strategy for the purchasing within this BU as well as business partnering with a sister site in the UK. The key purpose of this role is to manage the Company’s materials spend in respect of the Business Unit, ensuring that products are supplied at the lowest possible acquisition cost in accordance with Company requirements.
As Buyer you will:
- Manage the commercial relationship with suppliers regarding price, lead time and supply assurance.
- Capture new ideas/innovations for suppliers in liaison with the Engineering department.
- Engaging with Engineering & Commercial teams to drive purchasing influence.
- Identifying single source materials and approving new sources of supply to reduce supply risks.
- Work closely with internal customers and external suppliers to ensure the most cost effective solutions with respect to materials and goods.
- Keep abreast of supply market trends to enable the Company to plan internal projects and initiatives effectively and to ensure purchases are consistently made at competitive unitary prices.
- Undertake analysis of price variation by focussing on product cost drivers and cost reduction.
- Work closely with the Engineering function to reduce costs using the Design to Cost (DTC) tool.
- Positively encouraging suppliers to challenge designs and manufacturing methods with a view to reducing costs.
- Strategically maintain competition amongst suppliers through communication, negotiation, appraisal and evaluation, competitive tendering, Requests for Quotation (RFQs) and benchmarking or any other ethical means.
- Provide statistical purchasing data to the Central Purchasing Function at HQ.
- Manage the vendor rating and contractor approval processes in conjunction with internal and external audit procedures and highlighting supply risk analysis data to the Company.
- Work with Global Commodity Leaders to identify opportunities and align with group strategies.
- Identify and assess commercial advantages to be gained from low cost manufacturing countries.
Candidates should be used to working in a technical/engineering environment and can demonstrate a proven track record of operating in a commercial environment. In addition, you will be able to provide a sound level of commercial acumen and excellent analytical skills together with the ability to communicate effectively with suppliers and internal customers. An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft office and experience of SAP will be essential.
The successful candidate will be proactive by nature and have highly persuasive interpersonal skills enabling lasting and influential relationships to be built. Tenacity and the drive to succeed in a commercial environment are additional qualities required in this role.
The jobholder will be required to undertake regular travel as part of their role.
To find out more, please apply with an up to date CV today or call Hayley on 01962 869838 for more information.