Procurement Heads' Public Sector team is working with a London-based emergency service to hire an Assistant Director of Procurement & Commercial.
Procurement Heads is fortunate enough to be working with a Public Sector organisation with more than 6,000 staff, making it one of the largest organisations of its kind globally.
The procurement team is responsible for everything from goods and services, drones, aerial appliances and complex capital equipment.
First and foremost this role is a leadership position, responsible for 44 people in the commercial and procurement functions at the organisation.
It is a role that will require strong stakeholder management and influence engagement, particularly with senior internal stakeholders.
You will need to demonstrate robustness with senior stakeholders on why something is not compliant or not value for money in a manner that is understanding and brings that individual on board with your reasoning.
Looking outwards to the supply chain, this individual will need to demonstrate commercial astuteness when dealing with external stakeholders and suppliers in negotiations.
Importantly, this individual will need to be a good leader and motivator within that immediate team and align with the values and behaviours of the organisation.
Contributing towards their organisation’s culture change beyond the functional day-to-date operations.
In terms of new/upcoming projects, the finance and purchasing systems are out-of-date and funding has been authorised to replace this as part of this role.
They’re also on a push to improve existing processes.
They’re open to new ideas and challenging the way things have been done in the past. This opportunity provides a very public-facing operationally fast-paced dynamic environment, serving the 8m people of London.
About you / key competencies:
- You will be expected to be on-site (London) 40% of the time, that said, the client has not mandated this as a solid requirement, suggesting a fair degree of flexibility.
- You will be a credible and strategic leader with strong leadership skills and a track record of improving or transforming Procurement and Commercial functions in organisations.
- You will have significant experience in awarding and management of major contracts and developing strong and effective supplier relationships and performance.
- Experience in leadership and management in a complex, public-sector organisation during a period of significant change and external scrutiny.
- You will display excellent listening skills, with the ability to build relationships and an understanding of the organisation quickly.
- 1st stage – Staff Engagement Panel, tested with a selection of staff at various levels, not a pass/fail exercise.
- 2nd stage – With CFO/Director of Corporate Services & Transformational Director.
Benefits of the Assistant Director of Procurement & Commercial role:
- £86,649-119,509 dependent on experience
- Other benefits TBC